Monday, September 9, 2013

Turn The Beat Around!


Today was one of those days where I just was not feeling well. My stomach was causing me some attitude, which, in turn, was bringing down my overall mood. Despite being aware of the power my stomach was having over me, and despite wanting to not let it bring me down, I was having a really hard time actually doing it!

Now, I keep a  journal in which I write (among other things) daily thoughts, intentions and goals. Next to each goal there are little bubbles that I either fill in or put an "X" through at the end of each day, as having either accomplished or not accomplished that goal. Usually, I'm able to fill  in those bubbles with pride but occasionally I have to "X" them out. 

This morning one of the goals I wrote down was to go to yoga after work. Little did I know my stomach would cause me such upset as the day progressed and so around 2:00 pm I made up my mind that I was not going to go to class. I was bummed about not being able to go, and already foresaw an "X"-filled bubble, but I accepted my decision as meeting my body where it was at in the present moment and honoring it. 

4:00 rolled around, though, and I reassessed how I was feeling then. I still didn't feel great but I did feel slightly better.  That's when I decided I was going to go to class, and so I did. 

Attending class and connecting, energetically, with the other students--not to mention moving my body!--helped me feel tremendously better--much better than if I'd gone straight home. So even though I made up my mind earlier in the day that I wasn't going to go to class, I allowed myself to be open to change. 

I turned my beat entirely around. 

You, too, are never stuck or locked in to a decision you've made.  Like me, you can always turn your beat around. While it may sometimes feel like your path is predetermined--that your mood has to stay solemn, or your job has to stay mundane, or you have to start your day "this" way--it isn't! Utilize the wonderful gift you've been given that IS free will and implement change! Yes, this is definitely easier to do some times than others but you can always do it!  Please remember that!


So with that said, I'd love to know how many of you let predetermined, "set-in-stone" thoughts control your actions? Do you make up something in your mind and then stick to it unrelentingly or do you adopt to the ever-changing circumstances that make up life? Share your experiences, please! I'd love to hear them!


With love, light and happiness,

No comments:

Post a Comment